2-3 Persons (2 large portions)
4 Skinless chicken thighs
150g Basmati rice
1 Red pepper
1 Bunch Spring onions, green tops only
30g Bunch coriander, stalks and leaves
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt to serve (optional – do not use if Dairy Free)
Nutrition (per serve)
Kcal – 487
Fat – 16g
of which saturates – 5.6g
Carbohydrates – 45g
of which sugars – 4.8g
Fibre – 3.1g
Protein – 38g
Salt – 1.1g
Please note this is based on the recipe serving 3 people.
If possible, use a casserole dish / dutch oven to cook your biryani. If you don’t have one, use a deep, non-stick saucepan.
- Put the basmati rice in a bowl of warm water and set to one side to soak
- Prepare your vegetables: slice the spring onion tops, cut the pepper into bite size chunks and chop the coriander stalks and leaves, keeping them separate
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry off the coriander stalks and spring onion tops until fragrant
- Add the chicken and fry until the meat is sealed
- Tip in the jar of sauce, quarter fill the jar with water, replace the lid, shake to loosen the remaining sauce and add that too
- Drain the rice and rinse with cold water until it runs clear. Add this to the pan with 400ml water and stir to evenly distribute the rice
- Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 7 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Leave for 10 minutes – the remaining heat should steam the rice, so it’s perfectly cooked – if not, you can leave a little longer
- Stir before serving, before topping with chopped coriander and yoghurt (if using)
This recipe has been written and approved as Low FODMAP by Registered Dietician Laura Tilt @nutritilty, on behalf of Bay’s Kitchen.
Copyright Bay’s Kitchen. Please do not reprint without permission.