To Make The Vegan Meatballs:
- To make ‘flax egg’ add 2 tbsp of ground flax seeds and 6 tbsp of water to a bowl. Give it a stir together and set it aside.
- Rinse the canned lentils, add them to a bowl, and using a fork or an immersion blender mash them. Then get a big mixing bowl and start combining all of the ingredients. First, add the mashed lentils, then the flax egg, and gluten-free flour.
- Next, soak bread slices, squeeze out all the water from the bread and add it to the mixing bowl. Then chop scallions and parsley and add them to the bowl as well. Add 1 tbsp of mustard.
- Using your hands mix everything together until incorporated.
- When the meatball mixture is ready you can start forming the meatballs. If you don’t want to cook them right away you can refrigerate the meatballs for up to 2-3 days or freeze them for up to 3 months.
- In a deep fryer or a deep pot or skillet, add the frying oil (use enough oil to totally submerge the meatballs in the oil). Once the oil reaches a temperature of 150°C (300°F), place the meatballs in the oil using a slotted spoon. The meatballs should sizzle as soon as they touch the hot oil. Fry the meatballs for approximately 3 minutes. Or until the meatballs get golden brown
To make the Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- In a saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, ketchup, sriracha and soy sauce until combined.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat for about 6-8min, once it starts to thicken, then add the cooked meatballs and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve alongside rice garnished with sliced scallions or chopped cilantro.